The enhanced rate of internet penetration all over the world has made lives easy for everyone. Now you can get anything delivered to your doorstep, thanks to e-commerce. The increase in demand for goods and services across the world has risen to a level that many medium or small e-commerce businesses are being set up every day. The e-commerce market had crossed the valuation of 9.09 trillion US dollars in the year 2019. Further, it is projected to grow at an astonishing CAGR of 14.7% within the years 2020 to 2027.
The e-commerce industry has become extremely competitive. Many new platforms are being developed and launched each day to satisfy the varying needs of online shoppers. With this massive increase in the creation of new online businesses, open-source platforms have come forward as the most feasible option
The open-source platform’s source code is freely available without any cost and is maintained by the top professionals of the IT industry. You can change the code as you like and transform it to fulfill your purpose without any kind of restrictions. The most interesting fact about open-source platforms, it’s free in terms of downloads and certain parameters. In laymen’s terms, open-source e-commerce platforms allow you to modify it as per your needs; it’s free and developer-friendly. They are packed with a bunch of unique features which can be used to make your business stand apart from the competition.
PrestaShop may be new in the market but has already attracted great reviews and a ton of customers with its astonishing list of features and innovative UI. If you don’t have any countable experience with installing new plug-ins on the website, PrestaShop is a perfect match for you. It has been seen that most of its users are small businesses and start-ups. PrestaShop is considered as one of the most robust open-source e-commerce platforms on the internet. It serves more than 250,000 clients from all over the world.
Benefits of PrestaShop:
- Delivers a user-friendly interface with great inventory management and an extremely easy process to maintain the store.
- It offers a demo to get you familiar with all the tools and extensions required to build your store.
- It delivers an innovative user interface with tons of features, including multiple languages and currencies.
- PrestaShop offers an amazing browsing experience to your users as it is extremely light in terms of processing and rarely slows down.
- You can open multiple stores on this platform as it delivers multi-vendor support.
4. Zen Cart
Zen Cart is one of the leading open-source eCommerce development platforms in the market. Apart from being extremely user-friendly, it offers a number of exciting features that you can use to scale up your e-commerce business. It is a free, open-source PHP platform that does not require any development knowledge to set up a store. If you don’t have a development degree and want to scale up your online business, this is the platform for you. Yit can be installed easily with a basic understanding of websites. With Zen Cart, you get a number of custom templates to choose from, along with the feasibility of editing the product information right from the dashboard. Zendesk has been downloaded for more than 7,500,000 times.
Benefits of Zen Cart:
- Zen Cart delivers a great level of security and documentation.
- It offers a wide array of features along with complete customization options. You can get access to various pre-developed modules created by various developers.
- With Zen Cart, you get the feasibility of sending HTML emails directly to either your potential prospects or existing customers.
- You get to be a part of the extensive community of Zen Cart.
- It delivers multiple language options with extensive customization. A multilingual website always helps in selling internationally and build a brand.
nopCommerce is among the list of top open-source e-commerce platforms. Similar to many open-source platforms, it is free to download to build an online store. NopCommerce offers an extensive range of features to make your online store stand apart from the competition. It has achieved more than 2.5 million downloads since its launch. If users want to get a Microsoft ASP.NET-based platform, you can check its website. There’s even a one-click install version available for download, and it comes without the source code. If you prefer developers, you will find it easy to work with the alternative version or get the free source code from GitHub. It supports both beginner merchants and demanding experts in the e-commerce industry.
Benefits of nopCommerce:
- It is free to download and does not require any investment in long-term use.
- It offers two versions; one version is a simplified one that doesn’t come with source code and doesn’t require any coding knowledge. It can get installed with a single click. Another version comes with a source code that requires code knowledge and can be used for extensive customization.
- nopCommerce offers the users a set of essential features required to set up an online store. Users can sell various types of products while managing all the SEO settings and e-commerce parameters.
- Users can build multiple e-commerce stores and control them with only a single admin panel.
- It has an extensive community of developers from all around the world that continuously enhance its performance and security.